A340-500/600 vs. B777-200X/B747-200X etc.

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         10 Nov 1997 17:25:16 GMT
Followups:    1 2 3

Airbus signed up another launch customer for the A340-500/600---Taiwan's
EVA Airways.  I believe Boeing's original intent was to market the B777
to EVA Airways.  However, EVA Air's relunctance to operate ultra-long-
range twins has prompted Boeing's new B747-200X offer, and EVA Air
was mentioned as a possible customer.  EVA Air's A340 selection may
also sway Taiwan's other airline, China Airlines, to the Airbus camp.
ETOPS may be viewed as extremely risky for China Airlines because of its
poor safety record.  However, the Taiwan government may exert some
influence in the aircraft selection because of Taiwan's big trade
surplus with the US.

Boeing is also anxiously waiting to get enough customers to launch its
B777-200X.  American and Malaysia are probably the only two that Boeing
can get for sure at this time.  On a related note, American has selected
Rolls-Royce for its B777 order.  I am not too sure why GE and P&W both
are abandoning the ultra-long-range market (i.e., the A340-500/600 and
B777-200X/300X).

Let's see if the A340-500/600 and/or the B777-200X/-300X will be
officially launched at the Dubai Air Show.