Re: Dangerous Aircraft lighting

From:         gt1208a@prism.gatech.edu (Peter Hollingsworth)
Date:         21 Aug 1997 15:13:36 -0400

In article <airliners.1997.1841@ohare.Chicago.COM>, zinegreen@aol.com
(ZineGreen) wrote:

> I've never heard of an airline asking its crews to shut of logo lights to
> save money.  First of all, the money saved would be infinitesimal.  But
> more importantly, crews are normally too safety conscious to stand for
> such a mandate had it come from the airline's management.  I've been an
> airline pilot with 3 airlines in the US, and I've never encountered an
> airline asking its crews to skimp on any such matter that would affect
> safety of flight.

Actually alot do. Delta doesn't install logo lights on its domestic a/c
for cost puposes.  Logo lights are also very expensive and las only about
100 hours of use. While compared to pilots, mechanics time is cheep, it
still is expesive and trhe change of lights can take quite a while,
especially if they are in a hard to access place, e.g. on top of the
horizontal stab.

--
Peter Hollingsworth
The Grand Scale Earthly Destructor