Re: Fracturing the Pacific

From:         Thomas Holland <innot@frankfurt.netsurf.de>
Date:         21 Aug 1997 15:13:03 -0400

jimcam@arctic.ca wrote:

> According to my friends at Air Canada ( a B767 operator) you need 6000
> feet of hard surface for an ETOPS alternate.  The Arctic airports which
> meet this criteria are CYFB, CYRT, CYYQ, CYZF and CYEV.  I understand
> that Condor uses CYRB which is 6400 Gravel.

If you mean Condor, the german charter carrier, then no, CYRB is not
on our list of authorized airports. And I don't think that you can
land a large Airliner on a gravel strip without significant damage
(especially to the engines).

There are some more restrictions on selcting an ETOPS alternate but
with a 1200 NM range (180min * 400kts) there should be enough real
Airports available in the artic.

> With 3 hours ETOPS you can take a 767 anywhere
> through the Arctic.

Unless some airports are unavailable due to weather (not unlikely).

/Thomas/

--
Thomas Holland, innot@frankfurt.netsurf.de