Re: possible new engine for the B777-200X

From:         "jla" <jb7@usa.net>
Date:         15 Jul 1997 16:01:11 -0400

H Andrew Chuang <Chuanga@cris.com> wrote in article
<airliners.1997.1528@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
wrote:

> Perhaps, that's why NW's DTW-PEK service is quite successful and NW will
> increase the frequency early next year.

UA served SHA nonstop from SFO a few years ago (late June through late
September), which continued on to PEK, 3X weekly.  The service, with
adequately full loads, was mostly leisure travel.  The high-yield traffic
is to/from TYO.  Those flights are quite full with business travelers.

You also mentioned SEL/TPE.  While these are served by DL/NW/UA, they are
for some reason not as popular with US carriers.  UA serviced LAX-SEL some
years back, but dropped the service!?

And as for BKK, on September 1, I believe, UA will serve BKK direct from
LAX with one of its' flights via NRT.  The current flight does not make
connections westbound and is a LONG layover on the eastbound segment.

The big question I have always had is why does UA serve MNL via SEL from
SFO.  The largest Filipino population outside of MNL is in Los Angeles.
Would it not be better served from LAX, possibly via HNL (another large
Filipino population)???  It could be a matter of approval, but to my
knowledge UA has never applied for it.

jla