Re: Delta Air Lines fleet renewal

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         8 Apr 1997 22:22:11 GMT

In article <5i3jfn$jdo@kragar.kei.com>, J. Heilig <jheilig@gate.net> wrote:
>Joseph Edward Nemec wrote:
>
>> Stephen D. Todd wrote:
>> > On countless occasions I've heard the 777 referred to as the Trouble-7.
>> > Rumour has it that UA experiences frequent mech delays. Althought the
>> > M11 seems to go mech in "spurts" ie: last week of every month... or
>> > something to that effect.
>
>> That's strange, because even United's 777 have had an operational
>> record that is better than any other airplane in service. BA has had
>> trouble with the 777 IGWs engines, but that's GE, not Boeing.
>

>	Thank you for a voice of reason.  What most people seem to lack is a
>sense of perspective.  Sure, the 777 has had problems, but the fact is,
>its in service reliability rate is higher than any other aircraft in
>history (at this stage of its life).  A friend who used to work in
>safety engineering at GE's engine division told me she'd never step foot
>on a GE90 powered aircraft, knowing what she knew about the program.
>The results seem to be what we're seeing with BA's problems right now.

I was very skeptic of the GE90 as it is the only newly designed engine for
the B777.  Historically, new engines usually have more teething problems
than derivative engines.  However, the GE90's record is actually quite
impressive.  According to AW&ST, the dispatch reliability rate of BA's
B777 in the first year is 99.97%.  The same rate of China Southern's B777,
GE's second customer, is 99.48%.  While for the whole B777 fleet is
98.4%.  Thus, the GE90-powered B777 actually has a better record than both
the PW4000-powered and Trent 800-powered B777.  I know the latter even had
at least one inflight shutdown, while neither GE-powered nor Pratt-powered
B777 had any.  All three have unscheduled removals.  In this category, I
believe Pratt is No. 1 with the lowest unscheduled removal rate.

BTW, BA's B777IGW has returned to regular trans-Atlantic services with a
temporary fix.  Later this month, China Southern will inaugurate non-stop
B777 trans-Pacific service between Guangzhou and Los Angeles.