Delta's engine selections

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         3 Apr 1997 19:57:36 GMT

Delta has just announced its engine selections for the B767 and the B777.
For the B767, Delta reverts back to the CF6 engine!  Currently, the
CF6-80A engine on Delta's GE-powered B767s is an older generation
CF6.  Delta also has many PW4060-powered B767-300ERs in its fleet.  For
Delta's newly ordered B767s, the CF6-80C2B6/B7 have been selected.
Delta also has options on ten B777-200s.  If it chooses to convert
these options, Rolls-Royce's Trent 892 will be used!  Obviously, Delta
will use the B777 for long range operations.

To me, this is a big surprise.  This means, other than a few B757s, P&W is
practically shut out of Delta's deal.  (The B737 is exclusively powered
by the CFM56 engine.)  It looks like P&W may also be shut out from the AA
deal.  I doubt AA will go with P&W for the B777 powerplant, but let's wait
and see.  Twenty some years ago, P&W had the total domination of the
engine market.  Now, it looks like that P&W may have a hard time holding
onto its No. 2 position!