Re: Help ID Piedmont Propeller Planes, Please

From:         Stefano Pagiola <spagiola@worldbank.org>
Date:         9 Dec 1996 19:55:04 GMT

John Witherspoon wrote:
> In the mid to late 1970s, Piedmont Airlines flew propeller planes into
> Myrtle Beach, South Carolina's airport ...
> Can anyone shed any light on what type of planes these prop transports
> might have been?  If memory serves, they were large, four engine planes,
> i.e. bigger than, say, Convair 580s.

Piedmont never flew any 4-engined prop aircraft.  What you remember were
probably YS-11s, a twin-engine turboprop built in Japan.  Piedmont has a
fleet of these (which it later sold to PBA).  They also had Martin 404s, but
I believe they'd have been gone by the dates you mention (the 404s look a lot
like a Convair 440) and Fairchild FH-227s.  If the planes you remember had a
high wing, they were probably YS-11s, if a low wing, FH-227s.

Stefano Pagiola
850 N Randolph Str No.817, Arlington VA 22203, USA
All opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of my employer