Re: 747 / Air Force 1 Question

From:         Bill Hensley <Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com>
Date:         23 Feb 1996 01:13:11 -0800

hackett@southwind.net (Kim Hackett) wrote:
>There are two AF1's; virtually identical 747-200s.
>The major engineering feat was when the FAA reclassified the lower lobe
>area of the plane (the forward baggage compartment) as accessible in
>flight due to the fact that it is used for ground entrance using
>airstairs.  This caused additional fire extinguishing systems to be added.

Hmmm, the E-4B (another 747-200) is also in-flight accessable in both
the forward and aft lower lobes, but I don't recall seeing any additional fire
suppression installed (except for the trailing wire antenna).  There is a
lot of overtemp sensors in the equipment racks, though.

Cheers,

Bill Hensley

email mailto:Bill_Hensley@smtp.rc.trw.com
web   http://ourworld.compuserve.com:80/homepages/Bill_Hensley/