Re: 747 / Air Force 1 Question

From:         hackett@southwind.net (Kim Hackett)
Date:         18 Feb 1996 00:15:15 -0800

<4f8oc8$t0i@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU> <4fuo5c$72n@feenix.metronet.com>
<1772E775DS86.JW6191A@american.edu>

In article <1772E775DS86.JW6191A@american.edu>, JW6191A@american.edu (John
Witherspoon) says:

>In article <4fuo5c$72n@feenix.metronet.com>
>olesen@metronet.com (Eric Olesen) writes:
>
>>The Airforce operates 707s, 737s, 747s and DC9s, and NASA has operated
>>just about everything else other than the five mentioned.
>
>Speaking of U.S. Air Force 747s, when I was once on an Air Force One
>hangar and plane tour, I heard some story about an extra window that had
>been installed next to the desk where the President sits so that he
>(she?) could have a view.  I believe the fuselage was otherwise
>windowless in that vicinity.  Apparently, this was a simple-looking
>fix that ended up being a major engineering feat to pull off.  I never
>did get the full story.
>
>Any Boeing-heads know anything more about this?

I worked for Boeing Wichita as a structures engineer part time on the AF1
project, but do not remember anything about an extra window.  The plane
was built in Seattle and sent to Wichita for modification and installation
of the interior.  There are two AF1's; virtually identical 747-200s.
The major engineering feat was when the FAA reclassified the lower lobe
area of the plane (the forward baggage compartment) as accessible in
flight due to the fact that it is used for ground entrance using
airstairs.  This caused additional fire extinguishing systems to be added.