Re: FOKKER BANKRUPTCY?

From:         g.stoel@lr.tudelft.nl (geoffrey stoel)
Date:         6 Feb 1996 22:31:53 GMT

rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) wrote:

>I have mixed feelings about this proposed rescue.  On the one hand, it
>keeps alive a manufacturer that should, in economic grounds, be dead.
>This is not good.

I do not know if you guys know, but the Dutch government has lent
Fokker approx. $210.000.000. So they can go on producing planes for
the next four weeks.

>The best thing, however, would be for Fokker to die and for the Koreans
>and the Chinese to stop this nonsense about building the AE100.
I don't think so. Here in Holland Fokker is one of the most
High-Techiest industries. With this industry gone, I doubt if we ever
get it back.

>So far as I can tell, there is only one company regularly making a profit
>making airliners, and that is Boeing.  It makes no sense, no sense at all,
>that others want to join this party.  It seems entirely a matter of
>national virility.  Ah well, maybe 50 years from now, when we're still
>flying 777s, the whole thing will seem less glamorous.

Little note on that: Boeing could have been bankrupted if the 747
wouldn't have been a great succes.
Another note: Boeing has bought patents on bonding from Fokker. (the
F-27 has adhesive bonding techniques)

CU later,

Geoffrey Stoel