Re: Big Twin Competition (was Re: Boeing/MDC merger)

From:         rna@gsb-ecu.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         19 Dec 1995 00:06:19 -0800

>>I was under the impression that the 777 was in competition against the DC-10
>>and the A-340, so it is really fair to compare sales of the 330 against those
>>of the 777 ?
>
>It would be the MD-11 and not the DC-10.  Otherwise, you're right, and
>in general it's common to see the 777 pitted against the A330/A340 and
>MD-11.  The MD-11 may increasingly be left out of discussions since it
>seems to have nearly disappeared from the competition, except for the
>freighter market where it is doing quite well.

Actually, it _is fair to compare A330 to the B777, especially since, as
I believe Andrew Chuang mentioned recently, Airbus did this comparison
itself in its early market reports.  The recent Singapore Airlines
competition was between the 777 and the A330 as well, so leading airlines
are certainly making this comparison.  The competition is really 777
vs A330 _and A340, but as part of that competition, the 777 is cleaning
the A330's clock.  The question is really whether it will eventually
do the same to the A340 as well.

>ETOPS across the Atlantic
>is not a hard sell, but it's not clear that the same can be said about
>the vast expanses of the North Pacific, so engine count vs. commonality
>will undoubtedly be a key question in the Airbus vs. Boeing struggle.

Is this really true for the long Pacific routes (e.g. New York-Tokyo)?
It would seem a substantial part would be overland, either the Russia
or Alaska or Canada.  Of course, this presumes that usable emergency
airfields exist in these rather remote locations.

RNA