Re: (new and improved) B777 order list

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         10 Dec 1995 13:52:17 -0800

Andrew Chuang  <chuanga@iia2.org> wrote:
>I believe Delta was also involved in the initial B777 design and
>development, so was American.  I also read it in the newswire that in
>the next six months, Boeing is expected to reach the 300 milestone for
>the B777 (currently there are 230 B777s on order).  The new customers
>mentioned include Air China, Malaysian, Virgin, Air-India, Alitalia,
>ILFC, Northwest, and Delta.  The most surprising ones (at least to me)
>are Alitalia and Northwest.

Alitalia is surprising because that airline is extremely unstable at
the moment.  It's not clear that there's any real planning going on there.

The 777-100 might make sense for Northwest.  It would be a plane with
long-legs and low costs that could be used to develop routes to Asia.
They might also choose the -200B to serve Europe (they are one of the
few airlines without twins on the Atlantic routes).  On the other hand,
Northwest's labor costs are going to snap back in another year or two.

ILFC looks like a no-brainer.  The 777 is clearly going to be one of
the standard aircraft of the next few decades, so it behooves the
big leasing companies to have a suitable number in their portfolios.

The Malaysian order could be interesting.  The Malaysian govt wants
to establish a aerospace industry, and there has been talk of Airbus
giving them some components to manufacture.  I don't know how much room
Airbus has to manuever in this way, nor Boeing either, really.  So much
of these airplanes are already farmed out, Malaysian's sort of the last
person to arrive at the dance.

RNA