Re: Ansett "fixes" its 767s

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         5 Oct 1995 02:13:25 -0700

Justin Talbot-Stern <jtalbot@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> wrote:

>>Saw a small article in one of the most recent issues of Flight
>>International that said that Ansett is to convert its odd-ball
>>3-pilot 767s into 2-pilot 767s.
>
>I had the opportunity to work in Ansett's Engineering department during my
>summer holidays and spent a lot of time in their 767-200 cockpits performing
>CRT diagnostic tests and FMS data uploads.
>
>As for Ansett being the only airline in the world to operate three crew 767, I
>think this is wrong.  Last January, Ansett took delivery of an additional
>used 767-200 from Britannia Airways and I think it was a three crew aircraft
>as well.  However, the 767's they're thinking of acquiring over the next few
>years have the standard two-pilot cockpits.

The report I saw said that Ansett had one "odd" 767 which they received
from Monarch (not Britannia) and that this 767 was a two-pilot crew
aircraft.

Also, there's no way that Britannia would ever have ordered the 767
with a flight-engineer station.  Britannia is a very lean British
charter operation, and I can't ever imagine them making such a
blunder.

RNA