Fokker deadmeat?

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         8 Sep 1995 11:49:06 -0700

Followups to misc.transport.air-industry.

There was a small article in today's Wall St Journal about Daimler and
the Dutch govt fighting over the future of Fokker.  Daimler says that
the Dutch govt must inject equity and subsidies into Fokker for it to
survive, while the Dutch govt insists that Fokker is now a matter for
Daimler.

Not too surprising that Daimler would ask this.  After all, it runs
the German branch of Airbus, so when in trouble, think subsidy.
Rather incredible that it would blatantly _ask for such a thing, though.

Fokker has had an amazing amount of trouble over the last five years
or so.  It's really quite surprising, because BAe/Avro continues to
survive, though offhand I'd have said that the F100 was a more successful
program than the 146/RJ.  Certainly they sold the F100 in numbers that
Avro would give its eyeteeth for (e.g. 75 F100 to American Airlines).
All I can think is that Fokker was incredibly flabby five years ago,
so five years of slimming have still not produced an efficient company.

I'd be surprised to see Fokker die, simply because it goes against
the European grain to allow a national champion to die.  However, a
complicating factor is that the Dutch may already have let the company
go psychologically when they sold it off (well, half of it at least)
to Daimler.  Given the traditional Dutch antipathy to the Germans, that
was a rather large step.

RNA