Sabena goes for Avro RJs, rather than Fokkers

From:         rna@gsb-crown.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         31 Aug 1995 17:25:40 -0700

Sabena has annouced that it is ordering Avro RJ85 aircraft rather than
Fokker F70s.  The order size is 24, making it the largest single order
for RJs yet achieved by Avro (nee BAe) (though I think there were larger
orders for the BAe 146, in its heyday---the RJ is just a updated version
of the 146).

I think this is an interesting decision.  On the face of it, I would
have thought the F70 a more likely candidate.  Two fewer engines,
and I think that there were already F28s in the Sabena fleet.  Plus
I'm sure that Daimler-Benz (controlling owner of Fokker) would have
offered beaucoup discounts on the thing, Fokker is in pretty desperate
shape.

Also, the F70 is a more "normal" looking beast.

This must be quite a feather in the BAe cap, and rather a bad blow to
Fokker.  I wonder what BAe offered.

Followups to misc.transport.air-industry

RNA