Re: Lufthansa Chair sees no superjumbos

From:         alaw@us.oracle.com (Alvin Law)
Date:         7 Jul 1995 19:08:31 GMT

In article <3teijs$q0t@kragar.kei.com> tbenz@halcyon.com (Tom Benedict) writes:

>  A few years ago I read a letter to the editor in Air Transport World from
> R.E.G. Davies. He argued that the the Pacific is the market in which an
> HSCT needs to be successful. Unfortunately, the preferred departure and
> arrival times  for trans pacific flights are not possible with supersonic
> flight times. I dont' recall the details, but perhaps others will be
  ------------
> familiar with this.

I tend to disagree with the above statement.  Take a typical
trans-Pacific flight, my favorite SFO-HKG, for example.  Assuming at a
speed of Mach 2 you can cut down the flight time by 35%.  Going
westbound, the flight time goes down from 14 hours to 8-9 hours.  This
would enable a late morning departure from San Francisco arriving Hong
Kong in the early afternoon, or a late afternoon departure arriving in
the early evening.  Going eastbound, a 1800 departure from Hong Kong
would put you in San Francisco around 1000, or a late night departure
arriving in the early afternoon, or in the really extreme case, an
early morning departure arriving midnight.  All these flight times
enable a wider option for connecting flights into other parts of SE
Asia or major cities in North and Central America.

Other city pairs have similar situations, like JFK-NRT, ORD-NRT,
LAX-HKG, etc.  JFK-SIN could be tricky because you can opt for
trans-Atlantic instead.

--
"And this is all I have to say about that..."   - F. Gump
      ___

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel