Re: Lufthansa Chair sees no superjumbos

From:         tbenz@halcyon.com (Tom Benedict)
Date:         5 Jul 1995 17:37:00 GMT

In article <3t1n7f$3fv@status.Stanford.EDU>, rna@gsb-pound.stanford.edu wrote:

> In article <airliners.1995.931@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
> Timothy Francis Mcdonough <tfm0001@jove.acs.unt.edu> wrote:

> >HSCT will no doubt contribute to the demise of the superjumbo.

> The new generation SST?  Don't hold your breath.  The economics of that
> are even more dismal.  Without massive government aid this thing won't
> get beyond the pipe-dream stage.  Governments are broke, and the
> environmentalists will scream bloody murder about the effects on such
> a thing on the ozone layer.

 A few years ago I read a letter to the editor in Air Transport World from
R.E.G. Davies. He argued that the the Pacific is the market in which an
HSCT needs to be successful. Unfortunately, the preferred departure and
arrival times  for trans pacific flights are not possible with supersonic
flight times. I dont' recall the details, but perhaps others will be
familiar with this.

tom benedict
tbenz@halcyon.com