Re: Steep turns on takeoff and landing

From:         olesen@metronet.com (Eric Olesen)
Date:         16 Jun 1995 23:14:15 GMT

Christopher Stone (cbstone@flagstaff.Princeton.EDU) wrote:

: Yesterday I landed on a TWA 727-200 at Albuquerque.  As we approached the
: airport, we made a steep turn to the right, then the left, then the right
: again.  Each turn was *very* steep -- it felt like we were tilting at
: about 45%, although I'm sure it must have been less than that.  During
: the final turn, the nose was pointing rather sharply towards the group,
: and we weren't that high up -- I could make the ground out quite clearly
: out of the window, and it didn't look like the wing was that far from the
: ground.

I've had the same happen before as well when making a visual approach
behind another aircraft.. The 'S' turns are meant to allow the other
aircraft to land and clear the runway without forcing the second
aircraft to do a go-araound... But it also sounds like he was a bit high
for the approach as well...

--
|  Eric Olesen         |  Airline Historical Archives is now the Website    |
|  olesen@metronet.com |  version of Win95 and the Denver Int'l Airport.... |