Re: SR111 findings

From:         tjbueld@netside.de (Thomas J. Bueld)
Date:         Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:09:34 EDT

James Matthew Weber schrieb:

>; The current edition of Aviation Week and Space Technology reports some
>; interesting finds in the SR111 investigation.
>;
>; 1).  All fire damage so far seems to be in the 'crown of the aircraft
>; above the cockpit-cabin bulkhead'. So far no evidence of heat damage
>; has been found in the Avionics bay.
>;
>; 2). About 80% of the aircraft has been recovered.
>;
>; 3). The No 2 enginer 'was not producing power when the engine struck
>; the water'.  It isn't clear to me what the meaning of this statement.
>; Was the engine not running at all, or was it at Flight Idle?  In any
>; event it is a somewhat surprising finding (Engines 1 and 3 were
>; running when they hit the water). Tihs information comes from post
>; crash examination of the engines rather than FDR or FADEC non-volatile
>; memory data.

3. Fuel is transfered by electrical (AC) fuel pumps to the respective
engines. the center engine is mounted above the fuel tank level. so its
fuel supply depends on electric (AC) power supply to the pumps, while the
wing mounted engines will continue runnning by gravity fuel supply in the
event of electrical power loss. In consequence a failed center engine is
an indication of electrical (AC) power failure of the aircraft.