Re: Swissair MD-11 (SR 111, JFK-GVA) crash off Nova Scotia

From:         "Bertie the Bunyip" <slasher@f.u>
Date:         16 Oct 1998 19:14:52 GMT

sevnet <sevnet@interport.net> wrote

> Can this be done? Can a pilot stick his head out of the window of a plane
> while it's in flight? Would the wind be enough to knock him out? I've
stick
> my head out of a car moving at 60mph and it was hard to take, but a plane
> moving at 300mph?

Well, he doens't exactly stick his head out. What you do is open the DV
(direct vision or view, I can't remember which) That is the window
immediatly aft of the windscreen. The airflow generally is suchthat it
doesn't blow into the cockpit if this window is open. By just leaning
slightly to the side, it is possible to see ahead of you through this
window if vision out the forward screens are impaired. That in itself would
not help in  a cockpit filled with smoke, but it could help clear smoke if
there was so much it was becoming like ink. I don't believe I've seen this
on an emergency checklist, but it is certainly something I might try if all
else was failing.

Bertie